Thursday, September 14, 2006

September 14, 2006

First Brownie meeting today. The meeting itself went great, we have 10 girls right now (9 were there, one is recovering from having her tonsils out), maybe another one coming. The girls had a good time, which is always good, and we got all the stuff on our outline done, which is *very* good.

The only sour spot on the whole thing was that one of the new girls' parent was very, VERY late picking her up. AN HOUR late. Patti and I were pretty much livid. It totally threw me all off my schedule, because I only *had* an hour between the time Brownies was scheduled to get over and the time Mark had to be at soccer practice. He had thrown me off already because he got on the bus and went home after school instead of staying at the school with me (somehow he got past Patti, she was looking for him in the hall). So I called him, and told him to get a snack, do his homework, and then just read. I've left him at home alone before, and I was two minutes away, so that part was all right. This time. Or it would have been, if I had gotten out of Brownies on time. However, in an attempt to not have to haul fifty pounds of gear to the school, I had left my pocketbook and my cell phone at home (figured, what do I need the phone for? both kids will be at the school with me, the rest of the world can live without me for 1.5 hours). Of course, then Mark, who was home, couldn't reach me, because nobody was in the office at the school. BLAH. Future reference: bring the stupid phone.

Anyway, I did call to tell him I would be a little late 'cause the parent wasn't there yet, and to get his soccer gear on. Then it was later, and later, and finally the parent showed up and I went zooming home and grabbed Mark and flew back to the school and he was only a minute or two late.

I am SO GLAD I had a chicken in the crockpot, 'cause by the time we got home it was almost 7pm and I was so exhausted and grumpy that there was no way I was doing any "real" cooking. We just sat down to eat and another mom showed up to drop off her daughter's booster seat 'cause she's coming home with Kira tomorrow and I need it to drive the daughter home before I pick Mark up from tomorrow's activity. Amy was impressed that I had a whole chicken dinner on the table ready to go, considering all I'd been doing....I said I couldn't take credit, the crockpot is a wonder tool. :)

So now both kids are in bed, the dishwasher is running, I've roughed out a bit of the outline for the next meeting in two weeks, and now I am getting ready to go to bed.

The only running around tomorrow is Kira's friend after school and picking Mark up from STAR at 5:30. I'll be able to get the laundry done and some more cleaning up. Maybe I'll even be able to make a lemon coffee cake, I've been wanting to do one.

OK, I am just staring at the screen at this point, so I'm off.

No comments: