Monday, September 25, 2006

How Readable is YOUR Blog?

Oh, the fun fun fun toys I discover reading other people's blogs instead of doing housework! This morning I discovered, at Mom-101, a link to a Readability test. Plugging in Reflections of Nothing, I got the following results:


Total sentences 276
Total words 3297
Average words per Sentence 11.95
Words with 1 Syllable 2324
Words with 2 Syllables 615
Words with 3 Syllables 252
Words with 4 or more Syllables 106
Percentage of word with three or more syllables 10.86%
Average Syllables per Word 1.44
Gunning Fog Index 9.12
Flesch Reading Ease 73.24 [peak readability is between 60-70]
Flesch-Kincaid Grade 6.01

The Fog index says I'm right in the middle of the readability of most popular novels. And I write at about a sixth-grade level (which is hilarious, because I *have* a sixth-grader, and there is NO WAY he writes anywhere as well as I do, even though he is enormously talented and has actually WRITTEN A BOOK--albeit unpublished--and is currently working on the sequel). My Fog index is also higher than THE BIBLE. I'm wondering what version they're rating. The King James? There is no way that my stuff is written on a higher level than that. Maybe they mean The Message version. I'm just waiting, a rapper version has got to be in the works somewhere (yo, dawg, so Moses tol his peeps)....

but I digress. (does this surprise anyone? it should not.)

Try this yourself, and post your results in the comments. (yes, a blatant beg for comments.) mk

No comments: