Friday, October 20, 2006

Pink for October


Thanks to Mom-101 for the tips on how to change my template to make it PINK for OCTOBER (Breast Cancer Awareness Month)! Of course, I've only been able to figure out how to make the *border* pink, but the intent is there.

My grandmother had a breast removed due to breast cancer, and I discovered my first breast lump shortly thereafter (I was 18). Fortunately mine ended up being due to fibrocystic breasts (which makes monthly self-exams and annual exams by a physician especially important). I had a baseline mammogram done when I was 30.

Do what you can to take care of yourselves, ladies. And do what you can to support the research to conquer this disease. We've lost too many women to it. mk

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For an interesting twist on the topic of the "pinking" of breast cancer awareness, there are several articles I link to from my website, http://www.honestmedicine.typepad.com, that you might like to read. Here are just a few of them:

To access the articles, go to the left side of my site, and look under “CANCER”:

1) "Welcome to Cancerland: A Mammogram Leads to a Cult of Pink Kitsch," by Barbara Ehrenreich. A classic.

2) Chemo Concession (gives some surprising information about the chemotherapy industry)

Both articles will give you another perspective on the “think pink” phenomenon. I hope you will find them informative. Thanks for giving them a look!

Sincerely,
Julia Schopick
http://www.honestmedicine.typepad.com

mod*mom said...

thank you for your post!
i appreciate your turning your border pink + posting about breat cancer.
i'm going to read those links julia refers to + though i do think a lot of businesses are profiting on some products rather than contributing to breast cancer research. it's just nice to see that you care enough to mention it on your blog. + i'm glad you're checking yourself carefully. my mom + grandma had breast cancer, but i thought it wouldn't happen to me because i took better care of myself + never smoked + i was very active + ate carefully. i also had mammograms where they said my lumpy boobs were fibrocystic, so i got comfortable with that + when i was nursing + a tumor grew as big as a potato, i thought it must be the fibrocystic lumps or a cyst + i procrastinated about checking it out. anyway, if something's suspicious, get a needle biopsy or atleast an ultrasound. even tiny lumps can spread through your body.