Friday, June 08, 2007

Rites of Passage

Well, today both of my children will be experiencing rites of passage moving them away from childhood. In Mark's case, at the dance tonight he will be asking for Cleo's phone number, which will mark a further step from boyhood towards adolescence and ultimately manhood, as he makes his first significant step in the mating dance. (this is gonna be a very very long dance. Like the extended version of "Stairway to Heaven" that was always the last song played at our school dances. Only I'm hoping this is going to be the extended-extended-EXTENDED version.)

In Kira's case, she got her ears pierced this afternoon. She and I went together, leaving Mark at home, so that it was a special mother-daughter moment. She handled it very well, with only a moment or two of trembling after it was done while she assimilated. She chose her birthstone (blue topaz) for her studs, which look very pretty. (and actually look rather turquoise, which apparently is also a birthstone for December. Huh.) They did both ears at once, which was a condition of mine and is actually very common practice on children. She loves them, and thinks that she looks very pretty and grownup. Sigh. She does.

So, this will have been quite the day of emotional events for Mom. Mark *just* left for the dance with Eddie. I have to pick him up at 10. That gives me a little bit more special time with my girl, who might even let me borrow her bear to hug. 'Cause I dunno how well I'm handling all these signs that my kids are growing up. What was that slogan? "If they could just stay little 'til their Carter's wore out....." mk

No comments: