Thursday, December 31, 2009

Just Me Thinks--Sports Injuries

Has anybody else wondered how we developed the very odd but well-established "good sportsmanship" rule of applauding when an injured player leaves a game? I do understand the basic idea of it, that we are applauding the player "giving it their all" and risking their health to play, that it is a form of well-wishing and respect. I know what it is supposed to mean.

BUT.

applause /əpl'ɔːz/ a demonstration of approval by clapping the hands together

So it just strikes me as a bit bizarre that we are applauding an injury. We are approving it? We are happy it happened? We support it? "You are hurt....YAYYYYYY!"

We are weird people. mk

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very much a prompt reply :)

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

The Beast Mom said...

Well I hope it doesn't mean, "Do it again! Do it again!" ;)

-bm

markira said...

BM, hahaha, about the time I start seeing people holding up score cards after injuries...

Anonymous, thanks? I think? mk

Anonymous said...

Hey I'd like to congratulate you for such a terrific made forum!
thought this is a perfect way to make my first post!

Sincerely,
Laurence Todd
if you're ever bored check out my site!
[url=http://www.partyopedia.com/articles/rubber-ducky-party-supplies.html]rubber ducky Party Supplies[/url].