Sunday, November 04, 2007

No NaNoWriMo

Well, it's National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo for those "in the know"). Once again, I have contemplated the idea of trying it. And once again I have chickened out.

I know I have a novel or two in me. I just can't focus and concentrate my thoughts enough to pull it out. NaNoWriMo is supposed to help that...the idea is to write *something* every day, to finish a 50,000-word novel (about 175 pages) in one month. It's not necessarily going to be a GOOD novel. In fact, it's probably going to be crap. But dang it, you'll have written something.

Sustained effort on ANYTHING is a near impossibility for me at this stage. I can't even remember to take my daily meds on a daily basis. I can't keep up the laundry. I can't keep the housework up. Often I don't even have the energy to take a *shower* every day. So the idea of setting myself up for pretty much guaranteed failure on a 30-day writing project is probably not my best move.

Yet, I continue to hold NaNoWriMo up as a "someday" goal. Maybe 2008. mk

No comments: