Saturday, July 31, 2010

Timing Is Everything

So, I've been seeing this guy for a few weeks now (yes, the guy I mentioned in the last post). We text and/or talk every day, and he's coming for another visit this weekend.

This is the dilemma: how long do I wait before I reveal that I have mental health issues?

I mean, I have quite a long list of crap going on with me:

*borderline personality disorder
*depression
*anxiety disorder
*panic disorder
*agoraphobia
*sleep issues that I take meds for (periodic limb movement) (ok, that one is not technically mental health, but still, I mention sleep issues and people think it's in my head, even when I explain that it was observed in a sleep lab)

Considering how many people don't even understand that these are "real" illnesses, it can really freak a guy out. I don't want him looking at me like I'm unstable and ready to go psychotic any second. Neither do I think it's fair (for either of us) to date him for too long a while and then surprise him with all this stuff.

So when is the magic moment? When would YOU want to know that about someone you were dating? mk

p.s. One of the things that really concerns him is how tense I am...he is constantly trying to convince me to relax. And it bothered him that I didn't sleep the last time he was here. These may be factors leaning towards telling him sooner.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi mk...

I'm sorry that we didn't get to say hello. Our plans were changed, and we traveled mon/tue. I did get to stop by the Evans' building, but they had left sailing. Acadia was an incredible ride, but in the future, it definitely has to be more than a 1-nite stay, especially with teenage girls!

Speaking from a guys' point of view, I would much rather know about your health issues as soon as possible. Like you said, your list is a bit long, and if you don't tell him soon, it could make for some really awkward, even uncomfortable moments. Also, your last paragraph sounds like you already know what you should do.

MK - have you been able to keep up with the exercise program?

Paul

Capt. Brenda said...

I'm with Paul.

And I hope he gets a chance to see the Evans someday.

:-)