Monday, March 26, 2007

My Son is a WIZARD!

Our elementary school is having a drama residency this week by Children's Stage Adventures. The focus of the residency is the middle school students, although I believe the second grade is also participating. Auditions were this afternoon, with rehearsals to begin after school from 3-5. Daily rehearsals from 12:30-2:30 and from 3:00-5:00 will culminate in performances on Friday at 1:00 and again at 6:30.

So Mark just called, and he has been cast as a wizard in the production of A Sword Called Excalibur. I am so happy for him! I was involved in drama throughout high school, and I absolutely loved it. I've been so hopeful that either or both of my children will discover the joys of theater, either in front of the footlights or behind the scenes. (I was primarily a techie, with a specialty as the makeup mistress.) I've been careful not to push it too hard, but I've been SO excited since I learned about the residency. What a terrific opportunity for the kids!

The residency has been made possible by Partners for Enrichment, which is a non-profit, all volunteer organization that sponsors arts, science and technology enrichment for the K-8 schools in our school union.

Anyway, my boy's a wizard! yay!

In other news: had another day of jury selection, *still* didn't get picked for anything. I go back for one last selection day on April 25th, for two more trials being held the 26th & 27th. Then my obligation is over for five more years.

Little League has started back up, tryouts are over, the new positions have been filled and practices have officially begun. Right now Mark has practice three days a week: Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday. This week this will get a little hairy for his schedule on Tues/Thurs, because he has the drama residency after school from 3-5, then practice from 5:30-7. Somewhere in there I need to get some food to him, and he also needs to get his homework done.

I'm going in to the school on Wednesday to help the student council with creating prizes for Spirit Week. This year, Spirit Week will have the following dress-up days:
Monday: Pajama Day (always a favorite)
Tuesday: Career Day
Wednesday: 60s or 70s Day
Thursday: Crazy Hat or Hair Day
Friday: Twin Day (last year Kira was a "triplet," and they won for their level)

Mark's excited about Twin Day. There are 6 boys in his class (sixth grade), and he was going to propose an idea to them today: that all of them wear bright blue t-shirts with the number '6' stencilled on them. I picked up six shirts yesterday (clearance, $2/each) as well as a stencil sheet and some paint. If he gets the green light from them, I'll make the shirts. If it's a no-go, I'll return everything.

I've got some pictures from last year's Spirit Week:


These are from "Sports Day."
















And this is from "Crazy Hat/Hair Day." Mark's hair was divided into about twenty liiiiiiiiittle tiny ponytails, and then from each pony there was a red pipe-cleaner corkscrewing out. I was amazed that he actually went to school like that. And did not win. He lost out to a girl in a hat. He was SO happy to get home and get all that out of his hair, it was pretty uncomfortable. Wimp.












I'm trying to convince Mark that he should wear this for Pajama Day. I have so far been unsuccessful. mk

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice "hair"- it's beginning to jog a memory!