Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Internet Withdrawal!

Holy cow, I've got it bad. Last night at around 7pm, my Internet connection freaked out and would only bring me to my ISP's home page. No matter what I tried, it just kept redirecting me. I ended up sending a message to my ISP from its contact page early this morning, asking what was up. Turns out there was some database glitch that was reading my account as unpaid, so they had disconnected me. I'm on automatic payment, and there's actually plenty of money in my account right now, so this was alllll mess-up on their end. They reconnected me immediately and the owner of the company first emailed me an apology, and then called to apologize in person. :D

But what's the "bad" part is how frantic I felt when I couldn't get online. I was a mess. I kept clicking and clicking and trying everything I could think of to get it back. It was awful. It was the first thing I did this morning when I got up. (well, after the bathroom, of course. I mean, there are some priorities in life, and did I mention I've been drinking about ten glasses of water a day???)

It's also a little scary to think of how much of my life is wrapped up online. I have a lot of things stored in my email account that I should probably be storing on my hard drive. Many people contact me solely by email, including my Brownie co-leader, who in fact had sent an email last night asking me to print something out for today's meeting. If I hadn't gotten my Internet back, I wouldn't have gotten the message OR been able to access the stuff she wanted printed. (www.colorasmile.org , if anyone's interested) There are also some projects I want to play with today, but they require research on, you guessed it, the Internet.

I couldn't even BLOG about my panic because I couldn't get to my blog! I mean, I suppose I could have done a word doc and just transferred it over eventually, but that's totally not the point.

But, I've got it back and all is well, so I can start to breathe in a regular pattern again. Eventually. Now that I can get my 'net fix.

Anyway. There's my little rant of the morning. I'm off to check sites. Later! mk

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What did everyone do in their spare time 100 years ago, anyway? That's what I want to know.

Last summer I got really noble for a couple of days and actually CANCELLED my internet! I believe that I actually DID go through withdrawal, and it was such a relief to get connected back. Never again.

Everything in moderation. That's my motto.

Anonymous said...

Geez, will you post something else? I feel lame hitting refresh. (jk)